Friday, June 28, 2013

Homemade Sangria Recipe {Warning: Not for Lightweights!}

Homemade Sangria Recipe - Warning! Not for Lightweights!
Today I'm finally going to share with you one of my favorite summer party drinks. I had every intention of sharing it right after I posted my DIY Etched Glass Mugs Tutorial last November, but then I thought it might make more sense to wait until summer. It's officially summer, and amazingly, I remembered!

This Homemade Sangria is great for summer parties and BBQ's - it goes perfectly with sunshine, sitting by the pool, flip flops, fire ants, sunburns, short shorts, and sleeping in.

I'm not kidding when I say this Homemade Sangria isn't for lightweights. Let me tell you from experience: this is a beverage that can knock you on your ass!

Wine AND rum?!? Well, I know it's crazy, but trust me, it tastes delicious. A little too delicious. Consider yourself warned (and please be sure to pass along that warning to whomever you decide to share this tasty beverage with).









INGREDIENTS:

• 1 lemon
• 1 lime
• 1 orange
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 1 cup orange juice*
• 1 bottle dry red wine (750 ml)
• 1 1/2 cups white rum

DIRECTIONS:

Slice lemon, lime, and orange into thin rounds and put them in a large glass pitcher. Pour in the rum and add the sugar. Put the pitcher in the fridge and chill this mixture for 2 hours.

Just before serving, crush the fruit with a wooden spoon and add the wine and orange juice. Stir, taste and add a tad more sugar if necessary.

Serve in any glassware you wish. Try to get a little bit of fruit in every glass.

NOTES:

* Add more orange juice if you feel like the mix is a little strong! Usually, at parties, I serve the first drink at full strength and then add more OJ to top up the pitcher. I think I have even added a little Sprite to it once. It's always a big hit, no matter how I tweak it!

Don't be afraid to add different kinds of fruit in addition to the citrus. Try chopping some apple, adding whole grapes, etc. It's yummy!


Like my video? Join me (@JessicaBarst) on Vine! (link opens the mobile app) It's soooo much fun!!

Homemade Sangria Recipe - Warning! Not for Lightweights!!


Don't forget to take a look at my Etched Glass Mugs Tutorial if you'd like to see how I made these adorable monogrammed mugs (one for me + one for Alan. He LOVES his, by the way. Like, will wash it to use it even if there are plenty of other clean glasses :)

DIY Etched Glass Mugs tutorial - how to etch glass



I linked up at:


Texas Women Bloggers Diana-Rambles

4 comments:

  1. Love it!! I am totally trying this!! I love to freeze Sangria into icecubes and then use those in margaritas on the rocks... and you never get watered down drinks and it's like a swirl!! Is it 5 o'clock??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an awesome idea, Lori!!! I will have to try that. I love swirl margaritas, and gee! Look at the time! It IS 5'oclock (somewhere) :)

      ~ Jessica

      Delete
  2. Your warning is duly noted. :) I've never had Sangria but it sounds delicious. It looks like this is also perfect for winding down after a hard week at work.

    ReplyDelete